What is Oh Dear!?
Our project is called “Oh Dear!” and it’s a dead-simple tool you can use to help monitor the availability of your websites. And we define availability pretty broadly.
We offer multi-location uptime monitoring, mixed content & broken links detection and SSL certificate & transparency reporting. There’s an API and kick-ass documentation too.
Think of it as any other monitoring solution, but tailored specifically to site owners that care about every detail about their site.
What does it look like?
I guess the more obvious first question would be “what can it do?", but since we’re pretty damn proud of our layout & design, I want to brag about that first.
Here’s our homepage.
There’s extensive documentation on the API, every feature & the different notification methods.
A beautiful in-app dashboard to give you a birds-eye view of the status of all your sites.
An overview of the advanced notification features.
The whole design just looks & feels right.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know I have no experience whatsoever with design. That’s why we got external help from an Antwerp web agency called Spatie to help layout our app. I couldn’t be happier with these results!
What can Oh Dear! do?
The heart & soul of Oh Dear! is about monitoring websites. So once you add your first site:
- We will monitor its uptime from independent world-wide locations (downtime gets verified from another, independent location – different country, different cloud provider).
- We validate its HTTPS health: certificate expirations dates, invalid certificate chains, revoked certs, certificate transparency reporting, …
- We crawl your site and report any broken links (internal & external) and will report errors (like HTTP/500) to you
- Everything can be reported to you via HipChat, Slack, Email, Push notifications (Pushover) or SMS (Nexmo)
- There’s an API to automate Oh Dear! from start to finish & webhooks to tie in to your own monitoring systems
All of this in _– but I’m biased here – _the easiest interface to set this up. Everything is tailored to website developers or maintainers. Web agencies or large firms, that run multiple sites. We know & feel the pain involved in managing those sites, we built Oh Dear! specifically for that use case.
If you have clients or users that can create their own pages in a CMS, create links to other pages, … you’ll eventually get a situation where a user makes an unforeseen error. Oh Dear! can catch those, as we crawl your site and report any errors we find.
Can I try it for free?
Yes, a no-strings-attached, no credit card required free trial. Head over to Oh Dear! to give it a try.
The trial lasts for 10 days, we’ll bug you twice to give a heads-up that your trial is about to expire and then we leave you alone.
Give it a try & let me know what you think, what bugs you found or what features you’re interested in.
It’s already pretty feature-complete, but new code is deployed on a weekly basis and it contains a lot of good new ideas that have been reported by our community.
In the next few posts I’ll detail how every check is performed and explain the technicals behind it.